A virtual program, based in Shanghai, focusing on early stage alternative protein startups that are operating in China or entering China.
In more recent years, concurrent with the Chinese government’s published guidelines to reduce its citizens’ meat consumption, many Chinese consumers are becoming increasingly aware of the impacts of their dietary choices as well as the origin of their food. This has become a catalyst to drive change towards consumer preference for healthier, safe and more sustainable food products and propelled the growth of the local alternative protein market. The Good Food Institute Consultancy (GFIC) estimates that the Chinese plant-based meat market has been growing at an annual rate of 14.3% since 2014 and has already surpassed RMB 6.1 billion.
Brinc’s China Alternative Protein Program was launched jointly with Lever VC, a leading global alternative protein venture capital fund. This program focuses on accelerating and investing in early-stage plant-based and cellular agriculture startups that are operating in China as their primary market and/or have a strong China angle.
The program runs on a rolling basis, accepting applications from the beginning of each month, with a deadline on the 15th of each month. Once admitted, teams will receive an investment of USD 150,000 – 300,000 and a 3-month bespoke acceleration program focused on the company’s technological development, commercialization, and fundraising strategies.
We invest USD 150,000 – 300,000 via Convertible note or in an equity round for a negotiable percentage.
The program is designed to support startups in three main areas:
1. Preparation in getting investor-ready and fundraising via Brinc’s network of investors
2. Technical support in product refinement to ensure its market readiness
3. Commercialisation via access to new markets, distribution support, or exposure to corporates
In addition to funding, we provide mentorship, networking, access to experts, food scientists, retailers, OEM factories facilities, flavouring houses, investor matching, a customized curriculum, technical onsite training, an international startup perks package, and on-going support to help get your startup to the next level.
- Alternative Protein
- Cellular Agriculture
- Novel Ingredients
- Plant-Based Protein
- Precision Fermentation
- We invest in early-stage alternative protein startups that are operating in China as their primary market and/or have a strong China angle. Startups do not have to be based in the program’s location.
- Startups that have developed a product that fits within one of our Alternative Protein investment verticals.
- Ideally, must be looking to deploy their product / solution in the China market.
Startups successfully accepted into our accelerator program will need to:
- Pay a USD $30,000 participation fee for our program. This fee can be deducted from our investment amount.
- The program is 100% online and remote. There is no need to be physically present in the location for the duration of the program.
Ready to apply?
This is a rolling application.
Mix business with purpose
Global diverse talent
Our seasoned team of advisors from diverse backgrounds is critical for your long-term success, delivering value and supporting our founders on their journey to building profitable companies whilst addressing some of the world’s most pressing issues.
Elena Sofia Inuguglia
Having a hard time finding good and reliable resources? We are here to help you jumpstart your business, and to support our portfolio teams and the global community of founders. Give our FREE tools a try!
Good Food Manual
This extensive guide lays out the steps involved in starting a plant-based or clean meat company – from securing funding and developing your product to staffing up and expanding distribution
Every section contains insights from plant-based and clean meat experts and entrepreneurs and curates further resources so that you can dig deeper into the topics most relevant to you.
Please fill out the form to the right to get access to our Good Food Manual.